Monday, June 07, 2010

SQL Server 2008 Management Studio installation failed

I just wanted to install SQL Server 2008 Management Studio on my notebook. I couldn't complete the installation at once since one of the setup rules were started to fail over and over.

I've done this installation numerous times in the past but as I remember I never came across this kind of an issue. I couldn't continue the installation since one of the setup rules were started to fail. Simply the setup couldn't restart the computer. I restarted the machine couple of times but It didn't do any change. Then I realized(assumed) system needs a reboot but it couldn't complete the job it needs to be done in the reboot. So when I do a search regarding the operations need to be done in the reboot, I came across this registry key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\PendingFileRenameOperations
Clearing the values in this key resolved the problem for me.

Value of this entry holds the filenames until the system reboots and they'll be renamed. These entries are not created by the operating system.

There is a cool link regarding this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment